Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My talented kids

I don't care what anybody else says-- my kids are the most talented children in the world. Rose will be my triple threat: she can sing and dance, and surely will be able to act based on her ability to deceive her parents at the tender age of two. She has great rhythem and is always tapping along to the music, in time, and it looks like she may have perfect pitch as well. Lacy will be the songwriter and is always making up songs or rewriting the lyrics to songs she already knows. She is an expert at memorization and can't wait to take violin lessons when she's five. As a musician myself, I am thrilled with how much my children love music. It comes so naturally to them. They will both take violin, I will teach them piano, and probably voice lessons when they get a little older, as well. We live in a great area for music and theater, so I'm excited for them to get old enough to participate in the local youth music and theater programs.

Video 1: Rose singing. I know it doesn't sound like much, but she sings like this all. the. time. And while it's just jibberish, it will eventually blossom into beautiful music.

Video 2: Lacy singing "Scripture Power." She knows the real lyrics, but altered them to her liking for this version of the song.

4 comments:

Les said...

Hayden wanted me to ask if you meant being in tune, or if you really meant "perfect pitch."

Hopefully your musicians won't be as obnoxious as mine.

Carolyn said...

Perfect pitch = being in tune without deviations (sharp or flat) while singing a capella
Absolute pitch = being able to sing a note and know what it is without the assistance of a piano or other musical cue

At least that's what I was taught in choir at THS

Les said...

Wikipedia: Absolute pitch (AP), widely referred to as perfect pitch, is the ability of a person to identify or recreate a musical note without the benefit of a known reference.

Everything else I've read refers to perfect pitch and absolute pitch as synonymous terms. That's what you get for listening to a teacher.

Kathy Habel said...

Why doesn't it surprise me Hayden asked that question!
Love Lacy's version of scripture power.