Friday, October 10, 2008

Fire & Grapefruit

We're having oatmeal for breakfast. This is one of my all-time favorite breakfast cereals. Nice and hot, simple, filling, and tasty. It was this morning's request, so I put a pot of water on to boil. I was wandering around the kitchen doing other things while I was waiting for it to come to a boil, when Lacy said, "Mom-- fire!" I shooed the kids out of the kitchen and briefly entertained the idea of using my fire extinguisher. I am a bad enough housekeeper as it is, and I really didn't want a huge mess to clean up. So I reached for the baking soda, since it was a small fire and well-contained. It went out immediately with the baking soda.

The confusing thing is, I just used that burner last night to cook dinner on, and I know it didn't boil over. So where did the grease/food/whatever that started the fire come from? Dave is out working all week, staying in a hotel, so I know he didn't have a midnight snack. Weird. I'm just glad that the biggest casualty in this was the pan, and that's just smoke damage that will likely wash off very easily.

After the fire was under control, Lacy noticed the "big orange" in the fridge. And she wanted a piece. I explained that it was sour, and she responded that she liked sour. "It's really, really sour."

"I LIKE really, really sour."

"OK, fine." So I cut it in half and took out a couple sections and gave them to her. The look on her face was priceless! A look of shock and a whole lot of puckering. "See, I told you!"

"Mmmmm, I want more!"

After eating one more piece, she declared that she did not like it. "I only like a little piece." Sure, Lacy. Whatever you say.

3 comments:

Les said...

Silly girl. I can totally hear her saying that!

Kathy Habel said...

Glad you got the fire out quickly.

Jenni said...

grapefruit is one of my favorite foods...I think it's the only thing that I barfed when pregnant and STILL LIKE ANYWAY!
LOL!