Friday, February 22, 2008

Nightweaning, day 1

Last night was our first try at nightweaning. It went surprisingly well. I was so tired that I didn't want to do it, but I stuck it out and we did okay. So on the first three nights, they can nurse for a couple minutes but then you have to put them to bed awake. You have a seven hour stretch of the night where you do this. So basically, anytime between 11 pm and 6 am, you are working on the nightweaning. Any time before or after is the same as before. Last night, a couple of times I think she was pretty drowsy and drifted off to sleep right away. Another couple times she was having nothing doing and screamed her head off. But after about 10 minutes I was able to get her calmed down and back asleep. One time I had to rock her to sleep in the other room. That worked pretty well, but it's not something I'd like to do every time. And it was just the first night, so we're okay.

Two more nights of this and we're on to phase two. Yikes! But I think we'll do really well if we stick to the plan. After the nightweaning is done, we're going to work on staying asleep from bedtime (8) until wake-up time (7). We may have to have her bedtime at 9 once she's sleeping through the night on a regular basis. We'll see.

No comments: