Sunday, September 28, 2008

Just Another Day in Paradise

We decided to take off Friday night after Dave got back from work this week for a quick weekend trip to a cabin in the woods. Dave will be working a 2 week job that will require a hotel stay all week long, so it was nice to get away from all the distractions of life. Hopefully this is the start of many more jobs to come!

We stayed at a cabin that is owned by some friends of Dave's. They were going out of town for a couple days and asked if we wanted to stay there while they were gone. I look forward to someday meeting them. The house was full of cookbooks, jam, and wood walls-- totally my kind of place. Plus they are off the grid (my dream!) and are working on getting hydro-electric power to their home, courtesy of the Cowemen River, which was right in their backyard. Dave would stand out on the back porch (or look out the kitchen window!) and see if there were any fish in the river.

Three views from the deck:


And right below the deck was the swing that we loved spending time on:



Probably the girls' favorite part of being there was the animals. They had several dogs and a cat. The two little dogs were very cute and friendly. The girls enjoyed torturing, I mean... playing with them. Lacy actually played very nicely with the dogs and cat. She even sang the cat lulllabyes, and made up very sweet lyrics about holding the cat in her arms. It was Darling. Rose, on the other hand, is inexperienced to say the least about appropriate play with animals. But they didn't seem to mind it too much.




The only problem is that I am severely allergic to cats. I didn't relize how allergic to cats I was until this weekend. Within about a half hour, we had to put the cat out. The next day we got Zyrtec, which cause extreme drowsyness. I took a nap (and I HATE it when grownups take naps! It bugs me! But I couldn't keep my eyes open) and had a hard time taking our walk, because my whole body felt weighed down. My arms especially felt very heavy, and I was extremely slow. Speaking of taking our walk, here are the picture from it:


Looking down at the river to see if there are any fish swimming around

Lacy got in a bit of trouble for not listening to us (she almost bolted out in the street as a truck was coming!) and had to put her nose on the tree.

We found this cute caterpillar trying to cross the road

And finally more views of the river:



We loved looking at everything around us and wished that we lived there. Wouldn't it be great to be able to have a fishin' hole right in your own backyard? And then to be able to hunt for deer and elk right across the street? Aaah, paradise. Someday, we'll be there.

Eventually, we had to leave and come back to our home. We love it here in Olympia, but we miss the beautiful river and great cabin we got to call our home for 2 nights. Lacy misses the dogs and cat, but I only miss the dogs (sorry, kitty-- you're sweet and all, but I sneeze when I see you!).

One more picture, this time of Lacy, because it seems as though we're a little short on Lacy pictures. This was at the cabin, playing mommy:

I'm confident she's going to be a great mommy someday. What a sweet girl.

6 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

Wow what a beautiful place to get away to!

Les said...

Wow, sounds like a fun weekend! Now for the workweek...

Blonde African Americans said...

Carolyn-

I spent the weekend with some friends who are born agian christians and they told me that they don't consider Mormons christians, here is the email they sent me.

Aloha Raphael,

I asked Pastor Alan why the mormons were not listed on the chart.

Here is his answer:

It has only been in the past few years that LDS have wanted to be called Christian. Their theology does not fit in orthodox Christianity. I think http://www.mrm.org/ might be a good website he could investigate.

Not being a believer in gods I sort of miss out on the inner squabbles between god's but I thought you might find it interesting. I see Jesus everywhere here so I didn't realize that is what other religions think of the mormons.

Donna Shoop said...

It is really beautiful there! Its fun to get away from everything from time to time!

Carolyn said...

Raphael--

Yep, I'm aware of other Christian's feelings toward LDS Christians. It's interesting that they say that it's only been the last few years that we've been wanting to be called Christians-- since the 1830's, our church's name has officially been "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For a long time we have been called Mormons, but we've always been followers of Christ. Some people have different definitions of what a Christian is, but to me it simply is being a follower of Christ.

Another interesting thing to me is that they said that our theology doesn't fit in with orthodox Christianity's theology. Well, different brands of Christianity have vastly differing views of all aspects of theology between the different sects. Nobody's going to agree 100% on all aspects of religion, otherwise there'd only be one religion in the world. The history of Christianity is an interesting thing-- it really has changed a lot since its origins in the first century. I suspect that orthodox Christianity barely resembles the way that Jesus worshiped so many years ago.

Anyway. I could go on about this topic for a while! But I'm no expert, and I like to leave those things to the experts. If you are interested in learning from one of the best Mormon scholars about Mormon theology, I have the blog "Mormanity" linked on my sidebar. The author is an LDS professor in a predominantly non-LDS area. His blog is very insightful and I've learned a lot from him. Granted it's pro-LDS, but I'm not going to recommend anything anti-LDS-- I'm slightly biased ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's really pretty!