Friday, November 21, 2008

In honor of International Babywearing week...

which just ended on the 18th, I give you this article. Parents who use strollers where the child faces away from them interact less with their baby which can cause some delays. Sure, I use a stroller sometimes, but, like anything else, products like this shouldn't be overused. Rose is nearly 2 1/2 and I wear her still on occasion. Usually I use my mei tai, which is a traditional Asian-style carrier. I love it-- simple, easy, pretty.



This second photo is of Lacy and me when she was just over a year old in a wrap on my back. Even in this hold there will be more interaction than in a stroller, since the baby is playing with your hair, tapping on your shoulders, kicking your bottom, and doing all sorts of things to remind you she's behind you! You can't help but to interact more.

Wraps sometimes look intimidating to use, but in reality they're quite simple. They take a teensy bit of practice, but after one or two tries you have it down. Last night Rose was having a melt down and I couldn't find the mei tai so I put her in the wrap, and instantly her mood and demenaor changed. It was like a miracle. I don't use carriers as much after they're two (they usually want to walk anyway), but it's obvious Rose still needs to be carried a lot, so I think I'll start remembering to take it with me.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Bear hates it when my hair gets on him when I'm carrying him on myb ack. We actually play a game where I toss my braid back to him and he throws it over my shoulder back to me...he won't play with it though, just toss it away. It makes him crazy. LOL