Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Brushing up on my piano

Once upon a time, I was pretty good at tickling the ivories. I actually began my college career as a piano performance major, with a tiny scholarship, that they probably gave me out of pity and to build up their music program, as I really wasn't very deserving of a scholarship. I was decent, but I wasn't extraordinary or anything like that. I've always been clumsy and have had trouble with my fingering.

I think part of it is because of my practicing. I've never liked practicing, but I did it because I was threatened with grounding if I didn't. Or something. I practiced about an hour a day when I was in high school. Upon arriving at WSU, I was told I needed to practice between 2-4 hours a day. That was just overwhelming to me, and eventually I realized I couldn't hack it and I quit the program. Lately, I've been regretting that I didn't just get over myself and practice.

I had a goal this year to practice enough to revitalize my piano skills, but it's been difficult. In the past week or two, I've really been thinking about it and I've started playing again. Today I actually practiced for two hours.

Here's my ideal practice schedule
  • 5 minutes of scales
  • 5 minutes of arpeggios
  • 5 minutes of Hanon exercises
  • 5-10 minutes sight reading
  • 5-10 minutes hymns/children's songs
  • 15-30 minutes focus on each piece
Today I didn't work on sight reading or hymns, but I worked on 4 songs, spending significant time on Chopin's Nocturne in F minor. It is absolutely beautiful and I want to play it perfectly so badly.

I'm keeping track of my practice time online. I'll be updating periodically to let you know how I'm doing, or you can check my progress anytime here. Find username Carolyn227 and click on "show log" to see my totals.

3 comments:

Kathy Habel said...

Wish I'd learn to play... I quit early on.

Dale Abersold said...

Good to see all of the money I threw into your music education hasn't gone to waste. Keep going and you may inherit the Steinway.

Les said...

You need to stop doing so many good things. You're making the rest of us look bad!